Water Quality Alert : Caution Advised

Contributed by Mike Hanson, Community Manager

This afternoon (July 15, 2016) we received information that the recent testing of the lake water quality indicated a high level of microcystin. Microcystin is a liver toxin that can affect the liver as a result of drinking the water or eating contaminated sources. Animals and small children are the most susceptible. They should not have contact with the water. Any areas where the algae have gathered as a scum present the most risk.

The lake will not be closed. Boating, water skiing, and fishing should not be a problem, but caution should be exercised, and it is recommended that fish caught either be released or not eaten.

While we don’t yet know the current distribution of the actual algae, these toxins are formed by blue-green algae and most of what can be seen in the water right now are benign green algae.

A new sample will be taken on Monday and we will have the results by next Friday (July 22, 2016).

Clicky